Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Highs and Lows

OK, so you know from my last post that we had a little hiccup with my I-800 form. I forgot to send the payment, because I read the directions wrong. I noticed my mistake about an hour after I left FedEx and have been trying to fix it for the last two weeks. 
I called Texas where my papers were going (they hadn't even arrived yet), and explained my situation. They told me there was nothing they could do. I would have to wait until my packet went to the lockbox facility where everything is processed. So I waited. Then I called the lockbox. They told me I would have to wait to get a receipt in the mail so they could know which account the payment would need to go to. I got my receipt in the mail on Monday and called again. They told me I had to wait until I was assigned an officer to my case file and to call back in a week. I called back 2 days later and found out I had indeed been assigned an officer. I called my officer and she said there was nothing she could do. They don't process the payments, that's done in Texas (the first place my documents arrived). I would have to wait to get my "pink slip" in the mail stating my paperwork has been denied because I didn't send payment. This is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. She said it could take 1 to 3 weeks to receive my RFE (request for evidence) in the mail. TEARS. I am not a crier, but I could hardly talk on the phone to my officer because I was trying to hold back the tears! If this letter takes 3 weeks to arrive, our travel date will inevitably be delayed. Why is it so hard to pay someone $385? I can't pay over the phone. They couldn't email me my receipt number or my RFE. It's all just so inefficient! OK rant over. This has been a yucky day. Let's hope my letter comes in the mail quickly (our officer is sending it in the mail tomorrow) and we can keep things rolling. December travel is still possible, but it might be a tight squeeze. 

On a happier note, on Friday we got two new videos from the orphanage of our girl. It was so fun! We also heard how her name is pronounced. One of Jiani's nannies on the video is calling her Jania or John-ya. So it's fun to know how to actually say her name! The videos, for me, are also just reinforcement that we made the right decision by saying yes to Jiani (John-ya).  She is so sweet and has so much potential to thrive in a family and with great health care.


1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh! We remember very similar frustrations and feel your pain!!!! Praying God's peace today!

    ReplyDelete